The Rhodes Trust offers postgraduate scholarships at the University of Oxford in the UK. These scholarships are available to international students, including Africans.
2. Application Deadlines
The application deadlines vary depending on the region:
- East Africa: 31st August, 2023
- Kenya: 31st August, 2023
- Southern Africa: 1st August, 2023
- West Africa: 28th September, 2023
- Zambia: 31st August, 2023
- Zimbabwe: 31st August, 2023
3. Eligible African Countries
The scholarships are open to students from various African countries, including:
- East Africa: Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Sudan, and Burundi
- West Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, the island of Saint Helena, Senegal, Sierra Leone, São Tomé and Principe, and Togo
- Southern Africa: South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, and Eswatini
4. Other Countries
Apart from African countries, students from other countries such as Australia, Bermuda, Canada, China, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Jamaica, the Commonwealth Caribbean, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, SJLP (including Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine), United Arab Emirates, and the United States are also eligible to apply.
5. About the Award
The Rhodes Trust Scholarships are postgraduate awards that support exceptional students from around the world to study at the University of Oxford. Each year, more than 90 Rhodes Scholars are selected from 20 Rhodes constituencies worldwide. These scholars come from diverse backgrounds and demonstrate strong potential to be future leaders.
6. Rhodes Selection Criteria
The Rhodes Selection Committees look for young individuals who possess outstanding intellect, character, leadership abilities, and a commitment to service. They consider the following criteria:
- Academic excellence
- Demonstrated mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly involving teamwork
- Qualities like truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness, and fellowship
- Moral force of character, leadership instincts, and an interest in fellow beings
7. Eligibility Criteria
To apply for the Rhodes Scholarships, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Citizenship or residency in one of the Rhodes Africa constituencies
- Age between 18 and 24, with some variation in age limits depending on the constituency
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree before starting the program at Oxford, with some constituencies requiring completion in the year of application
- Scholarships available for up to 99 students annually
8. Number of Scholarships
The number of scholarships available varies across different regions:
- East Africa: 1
- Kenya: 2
- West Africa: 2
- Southern Africa: 10
- Zambia: 2
- Zimbabwe: 2
Rhodes Scholars may study any full-time postgraduate degree at the University of Oxford. The basic tenure of the scholarship is two years, but it may be extended for a third year for those pursuing a recognized route to the DPhil. The MBA and MFE programs are tenable only in the second year of the scholarship.
10. How to Apply
Applicants must fulfill the specific application requirements of
each country. Generally, the application materials required include:
- Academic records/transcripts of undergraduate and postgraduate studies
- Curriculum vitae or list of principal activities
- Personal statement or essay outlining the applicant’s intended course of study at Oxford and reasons for choosing it
- Proof of age, such as a birth certificate or passport
- English language proficiency evidence (if English is not the first language)
- List of referees who can provide confidential references attesting to the applicant’s character, intellect, academic achievements, personal qualities, extracurricular activities, and leadership abilities. It is important that referees are not related to the applicant.
Applicants are advised to visit the country-specific pages for detailed application requirements.
The Rhodes Trust Scholarships provide a unique opportunity for outstanding students from Africa and around the world to pursue postgraduate studies at the prestigious University of Oxford. Through rigorous selection criteria, the scholarships aim to identify individuals who possess not only academic excellence but also leadership potential and a strong commitment to making a positive impact in their communities and the world.
If you meet the eligibility criteria and aspire to be a future leader, this scholarship program could be a life-changing opportunity for you. Don’t miss the application deadlines and ensure that you submit all the required materials according to the guidelines provided. Good luck with your application!